Finding a Dentist
Children should be seen by a dentist as soon as their first baby tooth appears and then attend as often as the dentist recommends. Dentist treatment is free of charge on the NHS if you are registered with an NHS dentist up until the age of 18. Use this tool from the NHS to find a dentist.
Oral Health Resource Catalogue
Our popular child friendly resources include dental role play items, tooth models, games and books that can support you in exploring oral health with children and families. There are also many activities that provide a hands-on opportunity to learn about dental and oral care.
These items are all available to borrow free of charge. To see the full range of resources available take a look at the catalogue below and use the resources loan form to reserve your items:
Oral Health Boxes
Our Oral Health Boxes can be loaned for up to two weeks and these enable parents and children to talk together, whilst learning about oral health. The boxes each contain song sheets, puzzles, story books, mouth models, brushing charts and an activity booklet.
Use the above 'resources loan form' to reserve your Oral Health box.
These resources may be useful in planning teaching and learning.
- Oral Health Foundation: the Dental Buddy programme hosts a series of educational resources for early years learning in KS1 and 2.
Activities and Colouring Sheets
To help keep little ones busy we have put together a range of fun tooth friendly activities and colouring sheets for all ages for you to download and/or print online.
Come on, have a go – we know you can do it!
To find more information and advice on oral health in your setting visit these websites:
- HENRY: is a charity that provides support for the entire family to make positive lifestyle changes which starts with the early years. Their website contains some useful tips and information.
Here are some apps that might help you support good oral health at home.
- Brush DJ: A free, multi-award winning App with a 2-minute timer to your child's favourite music to make brushing fun and engaging!
- Change 4 Life: This Change for Life App brings food labels to life and helps you make healthier choices.
Healthy Teeth, Happy Smiles Leaflets
These age specific leaflets below provide easy to read information for parents and carers about looking after teeth.
These videos are short, fun and useful and can help to support good oral health in your settings.
- This 90-second video follows a friendly animated tooth character, who takes us through the three main ways to look after our teeth.
Well known TV doctor and CBBC children's presenter Dr Ranj, has made age related videos to help children brush their teeth correctly.
HENRY is a charity that provides support for the entire family to make positive lifestyle changes which starts with the early years. They have created a video which provides information and interviews with parents sharing their experiences on all aspects of oral health care.
Hey Duggee - The Tooth Brushing Song. Animated educational pre-school video aimed at 2-5 year olds, featuring CBeebies Hey Duggee and friends.
CBeebies: This video shows Mr Walrus trying to convince Teddles why brushing his teeth is important.
BBC: In this episode of Topsy and Tim the pair hear about the tooth fairy.