Food for Life, part of the Soil Association, is a commissioned service in Leicestershire that provides support, advice and guidance to organisations, around good food habits and developing good eating habits for life.
To start with early years settings can access a number of free taster resources to support good food habits. After this they can become members (annual subscription) to unlock a further range of advice and support.
As well as this support there is also the Early Years Award which is a great way to show that your setting is giving every child in your care the best possible start to their food journey. The benefits of completing the aware include:
- Collecting evidence and creating a culture to support OFSTED inspections
- Meeting national guidelines for food and drink provision
- Linking to UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative standards
- Following current Department of Health and Start4Life guidelines around appropriate food and drink
To find out more information about the support available visit the links below;
- Food - A fact of of life: here there is a wealth of free resources for teaching children about where food comes from, how to prepare food and healthy eating. Especially useful are the free activity packs containing guides/lesson plans on a range of different foods - visit this website for children aged 3-5 years and activity packs.
- Food - A fact of of life: This website has a pupils with additional needs section with resources created to support the teaching around food and nutrition to children with additional needs based on key themes including healthy eating, cooking and where food comes from. It's available by going to healthier families.
- Food - A fact of of life: this website has an excellent recipes section which is updated monthly for recipe inspiration for 3-5 year olds please visit recipes and search the age group required.