Resources for Parents and Carers

Websites

Websites provide a range of advice for parents and carers on range of topics. Here are some for you to visit.

My first 1001 days

  • Leicestershire County Council, My First 1001 Days: The first 1001 days of a child's life, play a pivotal role in their long-term development. The Children and Family Wellbeing Service have a dedicated page - My first 1001 days, which explains more around the importance of this time, with a leaflet for parents and carers, and provides fun activity ideas with additional advice from trusted sources, such as the Government's Hungry Little Minds campaign.

School Readiness

  • Leicestershire County Council, School Readiness: On this page lots more information is shared on getting ready for school in Leicestershire. There is a leaflet for parents/carers, as well as information about free early education entitlement (FEEE), and a variety of tips on how you can help your child at home, plus much more

Campaigns

Button Battery safety campaign April 2022

The Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) is working with The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, the Chartered Trading Standards Institute, the Child Accident Prevention Trust, and the British and Irish Portable Battery Association, OPSS has produced safety messages on how to keep children safe.

Key messages

  • Store spare batteries securely
  • Know what products use button batteries
  • Educate older children about button batteries
  • Discard dead button batteries straightaway
  • Act promptly if you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery

For more information visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/child-safety-button-batteries#button-battery-safety-campaign

Trading Standards and Office of Product Safety and Standards #nilbymouth campaign.

Small but powerful magnets can be found in construction toys, drinks charms, fake piercings and many other products around the home.

If a child swallows magnets, they can be forced together in the intestines or bowels. This squeezes the tissue and cuts off blood supply, which can quickly cause harm and kill.

If your child has swallowed magnets, they may have stomach pain, vomit, have a fever, or point to their throat or stomach.

If you think your child has swallowed magnets, take them straight to A&E. Take the product packaging, toy or gadget with you if you can. For more information visit https://bit.ly/3u75kqH

Trading Standards and Office of Product Safety and Standards #nilbymouth campaign.

Many products around the home such as soaps, candles or other novelties may look and smell like food products. But small children may confuse them with food and put them in their mouth which can cause death or injury. Injury can include vomiting, choking or evening poisoning. If you think your child has swallowed such a product, take them straight to A&E. Take the product packaging with you if you can.

For more information visit https://bit.ly/3u75kqH. Some products resembling food are illegal under UK safety laws, to report unsafe products visit https://bit.ly/3igPH9o or call Citizens Advice on 0808 223 1133.