Button Batteries

Button Batteries

Posted: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:38

Button Batteries

Many people are still unaware of the dangers button batteries pose to young children. The batteries, which are often found in toys and gadgets, can be extremely harmful if swallowed and may cause severe internal bleeding and even death. Children under the age of 5 years old are particularly at risk as they may mistake them for sweets.

Always keep button batteries out of reach of children and if you think a child may have swallowed a button battery, act quickly.

  • Take them straight to A&E or dial 999 for an ambulance
  • Do not allow your child to eat or drink
  • Do not try and make your child sick

Button batteries are often found in Christmas gifts and toys. In the build up to Christmas, please help us to ensure parents/carers are aware of the dangers. A leaflet and poster are attached to this Bulletin for you to share with parents or display for them to see.

For further information:

  • The Child Accident Prevention Trust has advice on its website: www.capt.org.uk/button-batteries

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) also has advice on its website: www.rospa.com/home-safety/advice/product/button-cell-batteries/

In order to raise awareness to your parents and carers please could put up a poster in a prominent place within your setting. If you require more or would like some leaflet for parents please contact us

Tags: Button Batteries